Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ferntree Gully Forest - a third time

Photo: 1000 steps

Walk overview

Length: 11.4km circuit
Time: 4 hours
Grade: Medium
Ascent: 700m
Maximum height: 500m
Region: Dandenong Ranges National Park
Map: Melway maps 65, 74

"The forest near Ferntree Gully has always been a popular destination for a brief escape from the nearby city. First reservedin 1882, it became a national park in 1927 and in 1987 was merged with nearby Sherbrooke and Doongalla Forests into the Dandenong Ranges National Park. A network of walking tracks and closed fire management tracks penetrate the forest providing pleasant year round walking."

Source: Day Walks Victoria

My comments

I did this walk for a third time today. I was looking for a shorter walk since the forecast was for very warm weather, and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get lost since I was walking on my own.

Again, I finished the walk in just under 3.5 hours. I might have been quicker except I took the camera and got a few more photos. Also, my knee played up again - this time at the steep descent on View Track. I'll have to get it looked at.

My rating

Good. A great training walk and a good way to judge your fitness.

Photos from this walk

Photo filmstrip with highlights from Ferntree Gully Forest walk
For more see: Ferntree Gully Forest photo slideshow